Oh goodness it’s been nearly a year. Havnt made a lick of progress but a lot has changed. I’ve started college out of state so I don’t expect to make any progress until summer. Last year with COVID work got a little crazy and the saw ended up shuffled to the way back burner. I also kind of lost steam when the paint failed. However I have since upgraded my sandblaster and will probably be stripping the entire saw back and using a different primer. I used a big box store self etching and I think the duplicolor color coat may have weakened the bond it had with the surface plus my bad prep work. Expect another update late June.
Post by oldwoodsplitter on Apr 9, 2021 12:56:41 GMT -5
One thing that I have read on here is that the magnesium can soak up a lot of gas and oil. They recommended heating up your parts in an oven to get the hydrocarbons to outgas from the metal. 400 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes or something like that. The guy who did the powder coat has a good write up on it.
An interesting idea with the oven though I don’t think that ones gonna make it past the head of house. I was planning on sandblasting then soaking in acetone blasting them again then wiping down with a paint shop wax and grease remover. My guess is part of the adhesion problem came from my very poor attempt at sandblasting using walnut shell at the beginning of this adventure