Had 3 hours to throw at a dumpster find this weekend. Pretty much everything a tossed 76/130 has. Straight gassed? Check. A bit of external Mag rot, dropped and an appropriately bent handle? Check. A spent Prestolite? Check. 4 stripped threads on the recoil cover? Check. PO tapped the lower right hole right into the oil reservoir? Check.
I had a two hour time limit to pull the top end, carefully heat and work the rings loose, knock the smear off the cylinder and piston, flatten off the ring lands, clean the rings, bolt it up and swap in a used Husky coil. Another hour to reassemble, tweek the handle, carb and plumbing. Tilly was by far in the best shape in the "project". Cleaned and running the same kit. Only new thing is a foot of fuel line.
On this one, I just swapped the cores over. The 503 62 02-03 had lots of room for the Prestolite core and retainer. Just enough clearance for the flange heads to clear and bolt up to the OEM bracket. About as easy a swap there is. The first ones I started doing a few years ago when trying out this conversion relied on brackets or spacers and hold-downs. A bit more time, but you don't have to knock/swap the cores.
It starts, idles and throttles briskly. Compression is not super, given the piston. But, the cylinder was is surprisingly good shape after some 120 and Dremel. Rings might settle in better.
Just goes to show it is pretty hard to kill these machines.
Another 503 62 02-03 (OEM) on the left with core in tact. 503 62 02-03 core above.
Prestolite core plus retainer in place in the 503 62 02-03.