Hi gang,I bought this puky looking XL-800 almost 2 yrs.ago & I had a hard time getting it running back then,but I did manage to get it running.Then it quit running abruptly & I just shelved it.Today I was searching for another saw & I came across the 800.I'd been thinking about the saw off & on for the past yr.& a half & figured I might try a different plug.I put another plug in it & gave it a prime,but still wouldn't fire up.I noticed the throttle lock spring & pin were gone,so I "borrowed" them along with a screw that was missing for the handle half.Previously just to get the saw started I jury rigged the throttle linkage with a screwdriver to get it to start.I made a coup[le carb adjustments & the saw is starting & running like it should.It oils well too.The only problem I have is there's a 16 in.bar on it,I'd like to put a 20 in.on it.
I put the 24 in.bar on it yesterday & had to fire that beast up another time.I noticed that the recoil didn't want to retract like it should,so I figured it just needed cleaning which meant that I'd have to remove the recoil.Yeah right.Those damn screws must've been in the saw holding the recoil on since the day the saw was made or damn close to it.It didn't help that the previous owner painted over them with that puky paint.Thank goodness one screw was missing & another was replaced with a shorter screw.I must've worked on one screw for close to an hr.,but finally I had them all out.I use Gibbs penetrating solution that another member here (lesorubcheek) told us about a couple of yrs.ago & by golly that stuff is awesome.It only takes a few drops & the recoil was good to go,good as new.I don't put anything on the spring,I just put a few drops on the center shaft.It's much better than WD40 & PB Blaster.I plan on taking the saw out this weekend if the weather cooperates.
It's been almost 3 months since I fired up this old beast,so I thought I'd give it a treat today.I couldn't get the saw to fire up at all,the carb wouldn't pull fuel.I pulled the carb off & pulled the metering plate off to have a look at the diaphragm.It was pretty ugly.I believe the metering lever & needle along with the diaphragms & gaskets are all original.I base this hypothesis on the fact that the metering lever was completely flat & had no fork to fit on the needle.I'll rebuild the carb tomorrow & reinstall,along with a new fuel line.
I haven't had a chance to put the carb back on,I've been splitting & stacking some wood that been laying here for close to 2 months now.
Just as well anyway.When I took the carb off the throttle linkage came unhooked from the throttle trigger.The thing is I don't remember if the linkage goes under the oil lever or over it.Anyone have any ideas?
I talked with Bob J.& he told me that most of the throttle linkages go over the top of the oiler lever.Of course he was right.I put the carb & linkage back on the saw & it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it'd be.Of course the throttle linkage had to keep falling off while I was trying to line everything else up.I started the saw a couple of times & had to make idle adjustments.About the 3rd time I got knocked on my keister.Upon further inspection I found the coil wire was bare in a small spot & was shorting out against the plug shield.I thought I found a nice replacement wire till I looked at it & saw someone had put an automotive carbon center wire on a saw,I didn't even mess with it.So now the saw is down till I can get a new lead.
I found a new lead a few days ago & screwed it into the coil without removing the coil.I did this only because I have nothing to set the coil air gap with.Not an easy job,but it's doable.I'm pleased to say that I no longer get knocked on my keister when I fire the saw up.Lol